Saturday, December 31, 2005

2005 Positive Pelham Awards - Part 1


As 2005 is coming to an end, I want to recognize those who have made an impression on me, their community, and the world in general. I featured Jason Gore earlier this month as the Positive Pelham Golfer of the Year, and below are other winners in various categories:

Tennis Player of the Year -- Paul Goldstein -- Unless you are a very avid tennis player and fan, you probably have never heard of Paul. Who is he? Paul became the all-time winningest player on the USTA Pro Circuit, which is the minor leagues to the ATP tour. However, because of Paul's achievements, he made it into a lot of major tournaments this year including making it all the way to the semi-finals at the U.S. Open in doubles. He also finished the year ranked number 68 in the world. Federer had a better year on the major tour, but Paul's endurance and persistence on the Pro Circuit shows true love for the game.

Entrepreneur of the Year -- My friend Benji -- Out of respect for Benji's privacy, I won't mention his last name, but he has influenced me in many different ways this year. He has introduced me to various online marketing businesses over the last four years, and he has built himself a very nice online business that provides much more than just a second income. He is constantly experimenting with new ideas, and he isn't afraid to take a chance. Two traits that explain why he is a success in business and in life.

Person of the Year -- My grandmother -- My grandmother passed away a few months ago. She was a wonderful person and a true friend to everyone she met. She lived in a small town in Alabama called Geneva. During her life, she had many obstacles to overcome, but she always overcame them, and became a better person because of them. To mention a few:
  • When she was in the prime of her life, she was hit by a train when her car became stuck on a railroad track. Her entire lower body was crushed and broken. It took her a long time, but she eventually walked again even though the doctors told everyone she would probably never walk again.
  • Her husband (my grandfather and one of the greatest men I've ever known) died of Parkinson's disease after a long and grueling 7-8 years of suffering. During this time, my grandmother stood right by his side and took care of his every needs. She put his needs ahead of her own. When he was in the hospital on his deathbed, he didn't die until he heard my grandmother say, "It's okay for you to go. I'll be okay." He then relaxed and passed away knowing she was going to be okay. She took care of him and he left this world knowing she was going to be okay.
  • After my grandfather's passing, she mourned for a short time, but then she surprised us all by becoming extremely active with her senior citizens club. She traveled around the country with them seeing sights and places she had never been to. She really made the best of the rest of her life. I was so impressed, because many people like her who had been so dependent and attached to a loved one usually withdraw into depression and have a really hard time adjusting to life without their spouse. She lived life to it's fullest and was fond of saying to me, "I'm just happy to have another day to live. I'm going to enjoy it." Something we all should say every morning!
  • But, during this time of her life, the unthinkable happened. One of her two sons, my uncle Troyce, was killed in a freak accident in his early 50's. He was barbecuing on his back porch when the propane tank exploded and he was killed. This was horrible for us all. Uncle Troyce was so fun to be around. He had a joy for life like no other. This was devastating to my grandmother, but she managed to move on knowing Troyce was now in heaven with his father.
  • Life certainly dealt her some bad breaks, but it was how she bounced back from the bad times that defined her life and legacy. She was truly an inspiring woman whom I deeply miss.
All through January, I'll look at some other people who influenced both me and the world during 2005.

Until then, make it a great day!

J. Anthony

comments

0 Responses to "2005 Positive Pelham Awards - Part 1"
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates