Thursday, December 22, 2005

Retiring After 34 Years at the Bank


I just got back from a trip to visit my parents in Alabama. My wife and I went down for two reasons. The first was to celebrate the Christmas holidays with them early because we will be visiting my wife's family over the Christmas weekend. But, the second reason was very important to my mother. She is retiring at the end of this year from 34 years at the same bank! The bank gave her a retirement party last night and she wanted us to be there to celebrate it with her.

It was a wonderful event. I was so proud of her. She was so worried as we were driving to the party that no one was going to show up. Conversely, more people showed up than I think she expected. I was particularly impressed by the number of past employees that came back to wish her well. I knew my mom was loved by a lot of people, but I was very impressed with the love and support she received last night.

One person that stood out to me and who validated the fact that my mom is a wonderful role model and positive person was a man who is retired from the bank after working there for 17 years. To the best of my knowledge, I believe he was the custodian/jack-of-all-trades at the bank. When I met him, he was whispering to my mother that in all the years he was with the bank and the years since in retirement, he had never attended one of the retirement parties until now.

This says a lot about my mom because she is an executive with the bank. I don't mean this in a bad way, but how many executives at a bank or any other company invite the custodian to their retirement party or even get to know them on a personal basis? It made me realize how genuine my mother really is. She cares about everyone and treats everyone as her equal. She always has. It was a wonderful night, and I am extremely proud of her. In this day and age, it's common for people to jump from job to job when the slightest thing doesn't go there way. She exemplifies perseverance, dedication, pride and loyalty. Traits that aren't very common these days. Congratulations Mom! You are an inspiration to me and everyone who has ever known you. I love you and wish you well in the next phase of your life.

Make it a great day!

J. Anthony

comments

0 Responses to "Retiring After 34 Years at the Bank"
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates