Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Mardis Gras in New Orleans


Hello everyone,

I hope you all are having a great day. I have a question. How do you feel about New Orleans holding Mardis Gras this year? Tomorrow, March 1st will be six months to the day that Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans (August 29, 2005).

I am curious how everyone feels. Personally, I think it is a positive step. New Orleans is world famous for it's Mardis Gras celebration, so for it to hold one at all, is a positive step in my opinion. And, the tourism dollars, albeit much less than in past years, will certainly help a city that is desperate for money. However, there has been a lot in the press about how the money and effort used to organize and plan Mardis Gras this year could have been used for other efforts. I am opening it up to debate. Use the comments link and tell me what you think.

I will say this. After watching the coverage of New Orleans after the hurricane hit, I was certain that Mardis Gras wouldn't happen. But, the city surprised me. I am not a big fan of Mayor Nagin nor the governor of Louisiana, but I am proud of the city for rebounding and putting it's best foot forward.

But, I want to know what you think. Let me know.

Make it a great day!

J. Anthony.

comments

2 Responses to "Mardis Gras in New Orleans"
  1. Anonymous said...
    Thursday, 02 March, 2006

    Mardi Gras in New Orleans - I can understand why they would want to go ahead and have the traditional celebration - to feel a sense of normalcy. However, they still have so many people that can't even live in their homes, that are still living out of the city - even out of the state. The money could have been better spent to help rebuild the city. Pulling off that kind of party isn't cheap!

  2. Jason Anthony said...
    Thursday, 02 March, 2006

    Hi Missy,

    Thank you for your comment. You are right about the costs. It will be interesting to see how much revenue was generated from Mardis Gras from hotel rooms, venues, restaurants, etc. It would be nice to see the community turn around and use the money generated from Mardis Gras to go solely towards rebuilding.

    Any other commments out there?

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates